Home»News»Police: No arrest after meeting with alleged sexual abuser

Police: No arrest after meeting with alleged sexual abuser

Pinterest Google+

A reported sexual assault on Colonial Quad grew more complicated Friday when police reported making no arrests after meeting with both suspect and victim.

The alleged incident reportedly took place Thursday night at 11:20 p.m., according to an email alert sent out to the campus community early Friday morning.

In response to emailed questions from the Albany Student Press, Assistant Chief of Police Aran Mull provided an official statement assuring that the campus was safe.

“The University Police Department has identified and spoken to all parties involved in the reported sexual assault on Colonial Quad Thursday night and is confident that there is no ongoing danger to the campus community,” read the statement. “The University has connected the reporting individual to support services, and the police investigation is ongoing. No arrest has been made at this time.”

Staff, faculty, and students at the University at Albany first learned of the reported assault in a mass email from UPD 3:36 a.m. Friday.

The email described the incident as an invitation to study which led to a sexual assault. The suspect reportedly used a social media platform to invite the victim to his dorm room.

“Once in his room he engaged in sexual contact without consent and against the expressed wishes of the victim,” read the notification.

UPD did not respond immediately to questions about what police did between 12:51 a.m., when crime logs indicate an assault was reported at Herkimer Hall, and 3:38 a.m. when the campus was notified.

The university has come under fire in recent years over its compliance with clauses in The Clery Act, a federal law which requires universities to issue timely notifications of crimes which could threaten the safety of a campus.

Leadership of the Police Benevolent Association alleged last year that the university violated the act nine times by not issuing notifications of dangers, or issuing them many hours later.

The university responded with a public statement in January denying that any intentional violation occurred.

“The law allows University officials to weigh several factors in deciding whether to issue a notification — including the nature of the crime reported to campus authorities, the continuing danger (if any) to the community, and the risk that notification might compromise an ongoing criminal investigation,” read the statement.


Joe Hoffman is the managing editor for the Albany Student Press.

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.