Pinterest Google+

After beginning the season 3-0, the UAlbany Field Hockey team has fallen to 3-3 after a pair of tough road losses this past weekend.

The first defeat came on Friday at the hands of #16 Princeton. Although being down 1-0 early in the second half, the Great Danes were able to tie it up with a goal from Paula Heuser off of a penalty corner. Less than four minutes later, UAlbany grabbed the lead off of Heuser’s second goal from a penalty corner. Frederike Helmke and Anna Bottino were credited with the assists on the goal, respectively.

The Great Danes held the lead for the next 12 minutes, before a scramble in front of goalkeeper, Maxi Primus, led to UAlbany kicking the ball into their own net. The game tying goal was credit to Princeton’s Sophia Tornetta.

UAlbany was able to respond with a few great chances. The first was from Heuser, whose shot went high.  A few minutes later, Megan Ma passed to Heuser, off of another corner, however this time the shot was blocked.

Princeton was able to counter UAlbany’s next corner by gaining possession and running the field on a breakaway. Princeton’s Sophia Tornetta passed to Lexi Quirk, who put it in the back of the net for the game winning goal in the 67th minute.

UAlbany was unable to get another shot off and fell to 3-2 on the season.

After the game Head Coach Phil Sykes said, “We played a solid game today and connected really well at times. We just need to clean up the little details and we can go in a really positive direction.”

The Great Danes, playing on the road for a third straight game, suffered a similar fate in Sunday’s matchup against Bucknell.

In an incredibly physical game, which saw UAlbany outshoot Bucknell 15 to 9, the Great Danes were able to break a 1-1 tie early in the second half off of Dana Bozek’s first collegiate goal.

UAlbany held onto the lead for the next twenty minutes, until Bucknell’s Nicole Rupnick scored an unassisted goal in the 65th minute to tie it up. Melissa Nealon, making her first collegiate start in goal, made the initial shot off of a penalty corner, but Rupnick was able to put in the rebound.

The Great Danes had one final opportunity in regulation off of a corner, but the shot was saved by Bucknell’s Emily Finn, sending the game into overtime.

In the first two minutes of overtime, Finn made another save on a shot by Heuser. Bucknell was immediately able to take the ball the other way and score the game winner on another rebound shot.

After a week that saw lots of travel and two losses, UAlbany returns home for a matchup on September 17 against Yale.

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.