Home»News»Firemen Investigate Motor Faliure in State Quad Elevator

Firemen Investigate Motor Faliure in State Quad Elevator

0
Shares
Pinterest Google+

By Jonathan Peters

ALBANY — Firemen arrived at State Quad tower after receiving an emergency call reporting a trapped student in an elevator accompanied by the smell of smoke on Oct. 9.

Students continued evacuating the building while the first responders began their investigations.

The presumed cause was an electrical fire in one of the three elevators, but their investigation found no injuries or trapped students.

However, the firemen did find the issue to be a motor failure in an elevator in Eastman Tower.

“This building took 15 minutes to totally evacuate.  During a real fire, most of these students would be trapped,” said Brandon Holdridge, an 11th floor resident assistant in Eastman Tower .

The students were allowed to return to their rooms at 7 p.m., two hours after the report was first made.

“It’s a nationwide problem in college residential living areas,  that students aren’t taking these alarms seriously,”  said Bill Hummel, Chief of Albany City Fire Department.

“There’s not enough of us to knock on all these doors. I hope when it’s the real thing, students evacuate.”

Noah Beadle / Albany Student Press: Albany City Fire Department Chief Bill Hummel.
Noah Beadle / Albany Student Press: Albany City Fire Department Chief Bill Hummel.

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *